Please be advised that the tour of the Sir John A. Macdonald Building being offered as part of the RAIC/OAA Festival of Architecture has been cancelled due to the requirement of the space for Parliamentary business. The tour of the Wellington building will continue as planned. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
The tour will explain and demonstrate progress on the Long Term Vision and Plan (LTVP) produced by Public Works and Government Services Canada in conjunction with key stakeholders and the Parliamentary Partners: The House of Commons, The Senate and The Library of Parliament. The 2007 Long Term Vision and Plan (LTVP) for Parliament Hill outlined a vision and guiding principles for future development in the Parliamentary Precinct, set strategic direction, established priorities, then developed and suggested focused five-year restoration and construction plans.
The Wellington Building
The Wellington Building, located across the street from Parliament Hill, was built in 1927 to serve as the Canadian headquarters of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. In 1970, the federal government bought the building to use as administrative offices for the House of Commons. Designated a Recognized Federal Heritage Building, the Wellington Building has undergone an extensive rehabilitation to accommodate parliamentary functions. Work has just been completed in 2016.
The major rehabilitation work included full restoration of the building’s exterior as well as the rehabilitation of its interior. For the duration of the implementation of the Long Term Vision and Plan (LTVP), the building will provide interim accommodations for Parliamentarians’ offices and committee rooms in order that both the Senate and the House of Commons may continue to fulfill functions previously accommodated in Parliamentary Precinct heritage buildings.